- Mar 06, 2018
- - 0 comment
12 Reasons More Nigerians are wearing Eye Glasses
12 Reasons Nigerians wear Eye Glasses
- UV Protection: Ultraviolet rays have negative effects on the naked eyes. Exposing the eyes to the sun either in the morning, afternoon or during an eclipse of the sun will gradually destroy the lens and pupils. According to Vision Source effects of exposing the eyes to UV rays includes Macular Degeneration, Cataracts, Pterygium, Cancer of Eyelids and Photokeratitis.
Macular Degeneration is caused by damage to the retina over time and is the leading cause of age-related blindness. Extended exposure to UV light increases your risk of developing macular degeneration.
Cataract is a clouding of the eye’s natural lens -- the part of the eye that focuses the light we see. UV light, especially UV-B rays, increases your risk for certain types of cataracts. It is estimated that 10% of all cataract cases are directly attributable to UV exposure.
Pterygium. Often called “surfer’s eye,” pterygium is a pink, non-cancerous growth that forms on the layer of conjunctiva over the white of your eye. UV light from the sun is believed to be a factor in the development of these growths.
Skin cancer in and around the eyelids is also linked to prolonged UV exposure.
Photokeratitis. Also known as corneal sunburn or “snow blindness,” photokeratitis is the result of high short-term exposure to UV-B rays. Long hours at the beach or skiing without proper eye protection can cause this problem. It can be very painful and may cause temporary vision loss.
Nigerians have subsequently had to battle with the detrimental consequence of Exposing the eye to UV rays which have brought about more Sunglass users. These sun glasses come with different levels of tints and colours. Photochromic or transition glasses are also used for different purposes including UV protection. These glasses remain purely transparent inenclosed environments anc gradually become tinted once exposed to Sun rays or bright light which can harm the eye.
- Fashion: Nigerians are lovers of fashion and have strong classytaste for clothes. If you thing a Nigerian is not fashion inclined, wait till heor she makes good money and you will see howMacular Degeneration. Macular Degeneration (AMD) is caused by damage to the retina over time and is the leading cause of age-related blindness. Extended exposure to UV light increases your risk of developing macular degeneration. These glasses could be Clubmaster Browline Glasses, Hipster Square Glasses, Aviator Glasses, Cat Eye Glasses, Round Glasses, Oversized Glasses, Thick Rimmed Glasses.
- Short Sight: Short Sightedness, also Called Myopia is the inability to see things that are far away or big enough. This can either be letters or images. Someone with this eye problem may not be able to read books with small writings and see things that are not close to them. Some patients in this category go through a test with an optician or ophthalmologist to get the right glasses for correcting the problem.
- Long Sight: Long Sightedness, also Called Hyperopia is the inability to see things that are near you or big things. This can either be letters or images. Someone with this eye problem may not be able to read books with big writings and see things that are close to them. Patients in this category go through a test with an optician or ophthalmologist to get the right glasses for correcting the problem. Some patients also get contact lens instead of the eye glasses.
- Colour Blindness: Colour blindness is the inability to differentiate between colours. Someone in this category may find it difficult to take the right decision when parked before a traffic light drive way. This is because the movements of the vehicles are strategically controlled by the colours of the traffic light. Green is to move orange is to slow down before stopping, orange can also be to get ready to move after a red light. A driver with colour blindness is capable of causing an accident.
- Dust Protection: Some areas of Nigeria especially where there lots of construction work going on, will have lots of dust circulating in the air. This dust is capable of making one very uncomfortable when they stay on the eye. Certain glasses are therefore used to protect the eye from the dust. This can be a fashion or recommended glasses.
- Night Vision: Driving at night especially on a single carriage way can be very difficult. This can occur if you occasionally drive at night and if your eyes are weak due to constant exposure to Ultraviolet (UV) rays. The upgrade in technology has also improved the type of lights that come with vehicles. Some of them are Neon lights which can be very bright even when not at its fullest. Special glasses have been made to filter the impact of this light rays before they get into the eyes. This makes it easier for drivers to cope with the lights at night.
- Spy Mode: Some glasses look really nice but they are actually for more functions beyond fashion, eye protection or sight problem correction. Hi-Tech glasses with digital camera and memory card spaces in micro sizes have been made to record events either for crime monitoring purpose, Journalism and media coverage or other personal purposes. These glasses may not be detected except you take a closer look or pass through a secured entrance that detects devices.
- Anti Reflex: Anti Reflex glasses are glasses with Anti glare coating or Anti reflex coating. These glasses are designed to eliminate harmful reflections that come devices with back lights like computers, laptops, tablets, phones, LED televisions and Gas Plasma televisions. The number of AR glasses used by Nigerians, have increased rapidly. This is as the use of devices increase and the strong social network attachments built up. This has made Nigerians spend more time on their devices.
- Blindness: Blind people are not very happy about their inability to see. Their blindness is sometimes not hidden when their eyes are exposed. Many blind people therefore wear glasses to cover the state of their eyes to keep them from the embarrassment of being an object of pity. This are people with partial blindness (Cannot see with one eyes) or total blindness (cannot see with any eye).
- Hard Drugs: Certain people involved in drug abuse use two majour things to protect themselves from being detected Visine or other eye drops which washes the eye and gets rid of intense redness or keep the red eye covered with dark glasses. Experimental or recreational use of hard drugs like marijuana and other narcotics make the eyes of the users very red.
- Apollo Disease: Apollo is caused by a virus which is very contagious and spreads easily. The virus may affect one or both eyes. This diseasescauses swelling, itching, burning, and redness of the conjunctiva, the protective membrane that lines the eyelids and covers exposed areas of the sclera, or white of the eye. Affected people wear glasses to reduce the paid from sun rays and spreading the disease to others.