- data plan
- how to
- social media
- Social Network
- Top list
- washing machine
- Apr 06, 2018
- - 0 comment - By Adeniyi Wole
How to Safely store Petrol
The Subsequent Fuel Scarcity situation in Nigeria has forced many people to hoarding fuel in their houses which is later sold as black market at higher rates. The fast means of making extra cash has plagued many homes. This is however a bad idea as petrol is highly flammable.
It is best to store fuel outside the house in a shaded place where it cannot get heated up. Petrol is also best stored inside iron cans that remain cold inside even when the weather is hot outside.
The idea of keeping petrol like money or gold inside bedroom and living rooms is a great risk as fire spreads rapidly when a spark is ignited around the petrol.
The petrol stored outside should also be kept away from kerosene and coal stoves as the high temperature can cause a fire. Many people have died because of the danger they were exposed to when petrol was kept around their homes.
The Cover of the Jerry can should be firmly locked to avoid exposure of any sort.
Most Nigerians generally store fuel around the house for powering generators during power outage. It is however imperative to make sure it is store in cool dry place.
It is better to be safe than sorry.
According to Nigeria Bulletin, a middle aged man, Shabi and his two daughters,18 year old Mistura and 16 year old Adura, were burnt to death on Tuesday after some Jerry cans of petroleum products stored at their home at No.5 Adeniyi street, Shomolu Oja, Lagos State.
The three deceased persons were said to be relaxing along the corridor of their house when the fire caught up with them. The Director of the Lagos State Fire Service, Rasak Fadipe said the petrol was stored close to the kitchen where the family cooked their meal.
Gistmania also reported sometime in April 2016 that A man and his two daughters and have lost their lives in Lagos, Southwest Nigeria after stored petrol exploded in their house.
According to the Director, Lagos State Fire Service, Rasak Fadipe the outbreak of fire was recorded at 5 Adebiyi Street, Somolu Oja killing three persons. He said the fire was caused by the storage of Petroleum Motor Spirit, PMS, in their home.
It was gathered that that the family was cooking very close to where the fuel keg was kept when it exploded and burnt the house.
The names of the deceased were given as Shabi (father), Adura (16 years) and Mistura (18 years).
Fadipe said the Fire Station from Somolu responded to the fire outbreak, but lamented the tragedy.
- Feb 19, 2019
- Jan 17, 2019
- Dec 28, 2018
- Dec 27, 2018
- Nov 03, 2018
- Oct 08, 2018
- Sep 21, 2018
- Sep 15, 2018
- Jun 05, 2018
- May 14, 2018
- May 09, 2018