- Mar 13, 2018
- - 0 comment
Why hanging around High Voltage Wires can be Dangerous
Many Nigerians build shops and small shanties directly under power cables and high tension wires without considering the risks they have exposed themselves to. Some people have died and some others have sustained permanent injuries after electric poles fell, power cables cut and wire overload triggered deadly sparks.
A sad incident occurred in October 2017 when Inyang David, a 100 level student of Mechanical Engineering of the Cross River State University of Technology (CRUTECH) died in Calabar after an electric cable fell on the roof of his apartment
According to Information Nigeria, a high tension pole fell on the building he was staying in causing a fire that razed down the building.
It was gathered that the young man alongside a nursing mother were killed in the incident which happened on Tuesday at 14 Adak Uko Street in Calabar on Monday night.
The landlord of the building, Mr Obo, said the cable had always been falling in the past, but not on the roof.
He said the affected building had 12 tenants. He said since the incident occurred nobody from the fire service or the Port Harcourt Electricity Distribution Company had shown up.
A friend of the deceased student, Mr Tolale Prince Harmony, reiterated that the cable had been falling several time in the past and the PHEDC office in Calabar had been approached severally to do something about it, but they kept referring the residents to Port Harcourt.
The impact of a fallen electric cable can cause a fire after it sparks around areas with highly flammable substances like propane and petrol. Many Nigerians believe the Electric cables are not so harmful. Unfortunately it is not so. Staying close to it of under it is a big hazard as it can cause death and deadly injuries. Some wires become weak over time and are due for change. This wires can get cut in the middle or sometimes spark seriously when the current backfires between the positive and negative lines.
Some wires get twisted while others get disconnected from the right source.
Another middle-aged woman, identified as Mummy Ajimo, and her son were electrocuted in Abebi area of Oke Baale in Osogbo by a cable which fell during torrential rain.
According to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), the rain was associated with violent lightning and thunder that wreaked havoc in some residential areas. It was learnt that during the torrential rain, the cables of an electric pole in Abebi area fell and sent shocks through the affected buildings.
The Commissioner of Police in Osun, Mrs Dorothy Gimba, confirmed the incident, saying the Police Area Commander informed her about the event.
She said that early on Tuesday, residents, who were scared, including Ajimo, scampered for safety as many of them relocated to avoid contact with the fallen electric cables.
Although the police report identified the deceased woman as Mummy Ajimo, some eyewitnesses identified her as Simiatu Rafiu, who had attempted to escape the danger with her son.
As residents hurried out of the area, Mummy Ajimo, took her son, Ajimo, to leave the area but as they made their way out, they stepped on the live electric cable and were electrocuted.
The Police Public Relations Office (PPRO), Mrs Folashade Odoro, made a report from one Ishmail Oyebode of Ile Balogun Abe Obi area of Osogbo available to NAN.
The report read:
There was an electric spark a few hours ago and people living in that area started running out for safety and one Mummy Ajimo and her son ran into the wire and died immediately.
Meanwhile, the police said details of the report would be made available public as soon as investigation from the Area Commander’s office was completed.
While some people were still celebrating the New year day in 2017, five people were electrocuted to death when a high-tension wire suddenly fell down from one of the electrical poles on Adedoja Street, in the Odi-Olowo area of Mushin, Lagos State.
PUNCH Metro learnt that most of the victims had just finished praying at the Temidire Central Mosque on Ogunmokun Street and were on their way home when a man on a motorcycle set off some fireworks into the air.
It was said that the fireworks hit some high-tension wires on the poles, cutting one of the wires, which fell on the Muslim worshippers and some passersby.
Five people were said to have been electrocuted and burnt by the high-tension wire.
Among the dead was a 300-level student of the Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ogun State, identified as Abdulwasiu Apesin.
The corpses were reportedly removed by family members of the victims and policemen from the Alakara division, before officials of the Ikeja Electric reconnected the wire on Monday.
A witness and community leader, Prince Adewale Osho, said the incident happened around 12.15am while residents were celebrating the New Year.
Osho, aka Baba General, explained that the five victims were killed at two intervals, adding that two others escaped with serious injuries.
He said, “It was around 12.15am after they finished the Taajud prayers at the mosque that the incident happened. As people were going to their different homes, a man set off a few fireworks into the air, which hit high-tension wires on the street. One of the wires exploded and people tried to flee when they saw the heavy sparks and noticed that it had cut into two.
“Unfortunately, the wire fell on four people. Three died on the spot, while one boy, Adebayo, was thrown off; he survived. The wire caught the leg of a man we call Baba Lekan and twisted it. People were able to rescue the man and take him to a hospital. The power was turned off at that point.
“However, about 30 minutes later, they restored power. A motorcyclist and his passenger, who were unaware of the incident and were just riding past, were also electrocuted; they died on the spot, bringing the casualty to five.”
Osho said the police removed some of the corpses around 2am, adding that others were taken away by family members.
Some bent power poles are sometimes abandoned by concerned authorities until it causes injury or harm before it is well placed or replaced. It is however important to try as much as possible to keep away from the cables. Some passers-by have also been victims of circumstances as cables sparked or fell when they were passing by.