- Mar 08, 2018
- - 0 comment
Differences Between Core i3, i5 and i7 Intel Processors.
Intel Core processors are among the best you can buy, but choosing which of the 3 different models best suits your needs can be quite confusing. The processor is basically your computer's brain. It determines the speed in which your computer runs and its ability to handle multiple tasks at the same time. Intel Core processors are globally the most powerful processors in the IT world because they have multiple cores for more power and smoother multi-tasking.
Basically, there are 3 main categories of the intel core processors: the Core i3,Core i5 and Core i7. Each core has numerous spec options, but strictly speaking a Core i5 will be superior to a Core i3, and a Core i7 superior to a Core i5. Core i7 does not have seven cores nor does Core i3 have three cores. The numbers are simply indicative of their relative processing powers. Their levels of processing power are based on a collection of criteria such as their number of cores, the clock speed (in GHz), the size of cache, as well as technologies like Turbo Boost 2.0 and Hyper-Threading.
The i3, i5 and i7 are updatedon an annual basis. The 2017 updates are known as 7th generation. You can identify the generation of any processor by its serial number. For example, we know the Intel Core i7-7820HQ is of the 7th generation because of the 7 that appears after the hyphen. The 7th Generation processors are updated to power fanless 2-in-1 (convertible laptop/tablet) devices and ultrathin notebooks – known as Y-series and U-series processors. They are designed to strike a balance between performance and mobility, which includes longer battery life.
Let's take a look at the 3 processors:
1. Core i3:
It is great for everyday computing tasks such as web browsing, video streaming and office-type work. Its dual core means regular tasks will be slicker and easier. Also, intel’s Hyper-Threading technology makes more efficient use of its power. On a norm, you will find Core i3 on most budget-friendly laptops. It is however a bad choice for demanding creative or scientific programs.
What You Can Do with the Core i3
- Browse the web – multiple webpage tabs should run smoothly.
- Multi-task efficiently with Intel Hyper-Threading technology.
- Work on reports and essays in Word , or in basic spreadsheets in Excel. Stream movies and TV shows from Netflix.
- Listen to your favourite playlists and albums on Spotify.
2. Core i5:
Core i5 is great for multitasking. This processor, in combination with plenty of RAM and good built in graphics, ensures designers, PC gamers and photographers who work in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator get a satisfying experience. Core i5 processors are either dual core or quad core, meaning they have 4 cores and can handle more jobs at the same time.
What You Can do With Core i5
- Multi-task – work on spreadsheets while streaming music or video, with Facebook and webpages open too.
- Work on complicated tasks like rendering a big Excel file.
- Smoothly edit photos in Photoshop and sketch out graphics in Illustrator Play intensive PC games with the right i5. Stream from multiple sites at the same time
- Get a temporary boost when using demanding programs with Intel Turbo Boost technology.
3. Core i7:
This is the best choice for video editors, designers and gamers and those who are in the creative industries and are handling advanced video editing in programs like Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere. The creative industries require the fastest processor and good graphics, hence, core i7 is perfect. It has enough power for the most demanding tasks.
What You Can Do With Core i7
- Encode video more efficiently.
- Work smoothly in 3D modelling programs like AutoCAD.
- Smoothly edit photos in Photoshop and sketch out graphics in Illustrator. Crunch numbers on spreadsheets more efficiently.
- Enjoy working more efficiently when using demanding creative programs.
Now that you know the differences in the three intel core processors, it will be easier to choose the one that suit your purpose. You can check out our website to find out the most suitable laptop to buy.